Kolkata metro railway system started in October, 1984 and the full stretch that was initially planned being operational by February, 1995. It is (well was čÖü ) the pride of Bengal. A few months earlier Kolkata metro was dying but after Railway minister Mamta Banarjee proposed new East-West corridor for metro rail we can hope that it will raise it lost glory again. Once Kolkata metro ranked the Worldĺs Best metro by BBC in the past.
As per the proposed plan of East-West Metro, it will run 13 km from Salt Lake sector V to Howrah rail station. It is set to be operational by 2012. Most of the lines will be over the head but between Mahakaran (BBD Bag) to Howrah stations, will be under the river Hooghly.
Here is the route map of Kolkata Metro railway both Operating and Proposed.
Currently Kolkata metro 17 functioning stations and 23 station are under construction.
Functioning stations are from North to South
- Dum Dum(terminus)
- Shobhabazar Sutanuti
- Girish Park
- Mahatma Gandhi Road
- Chandni Chowk
- Rabindra Sadan
- Netaji Bhavan
- Jatin Das Park
- Rabindra Sarobar
- Mahanayak Uttam Kumar(terminus)
- Masterda Surya Sen
- Kavi Nazrul
- Shahid Khudiram
- Kavi Subhash
Proposed metro stations
As far the proposed East – West corridor plan there are 12 stations.
Those are from East to the West
- Salt Lake sector V terminus
- Central park
- City Center
- Bengal Chemical
- Salt Lake Stadium
- Central Crossing
- Howrah Station terminus
Kolkata Metro Railway distance between stations map
Though this map is not complete(11/22) some might find it useful. The map lists 11 stations out of 22 stations in Kokkata Metro.
Distances between stations are as follows:
- Dum Dum – Belgachhia (2.15 KM)
- Belgachhia – Shyambazaar (2.65 KM)
- Shyambazaar – Girish Park (1.9 KM)
- Girish Park – Central (1.8 KM)
- Central – Chandni Chowk (0.6 KM)
- Chandni Chowk – Esplanade (0.7 KM)
- Esplanade – Netaji Bhavan (3.5 KM)
- Netaji Bhavan – Mahanayak Uttam Kumar (4.25 KM)
- Mahanayak Uttam Kumar – Kavi Nazrul (5.85 KM)
- Kavi Nazrul – Kavi Subhash (3.0 KM)
If you have an updated map please share it here.