With Microsoft Word you can format every paragraph differently. As I said it in Basic Text Formatting in Microsoft Word 2010 that with MS Word you can format four basic elements; i.e. Character, Paragraph, Selection and Page. You can format each paragraph with its own tab stop, line spacing, indentation, alignments etc.
- Alignments: we have four types of alignments in MS Word. Left, Center, Right and Justify. Left alignment sets the paragraph start from the left, Right form the right and center from the center. With the justify alignment paragraph starts from the left but all lines are distributed equally from the left to the right.
- Line Spacing: is used to add space between the lines of text in a paragraph. By default, lines are single spaces, with slightly more than that amount below a paragraph. You can select several options for the paragraph’s line spacing from the drop down menu in paragraph section of home tab.
See Line and Paragraph Spacing in Microsoft Word for more.
- Bullets and Number lists: add bullets or number lists to your paragraphs in one single click. There are many inbuilt bullet and number list styles in Word 2010 to chose from. See Bullets and Numbered Lists in Microsoft Word 2010 for more on this.
- Indenting: allows you to move the first line of a paragraph or the whole paragraph to the left or the right. This is very use full when you use nested paragraph or block quote. See Indenting paragraph in Microsoft Word.
- Sorting: Microsoft Word can identify and sort each paragraph by texts, numbers and dates. This come very useful when you make a list of some thing and then want to sort it alphabetically. Just click on the Sort button in the paragraph section in home tab, a pop up menu will open up asking the way you want to sort your items. Select you option and click OK. You are done!
- Background Colors: you can add different background colors to different paragraphs in Word. Just click anywhere inside a paragraph and add the background color you want to add. Selecting multiple paragraph at once will add the same color to all of the selected paragraphs.
- Borders and Shading: just like the background color you can also add different borders to different paragraphs in Word. Just click anywhere inside a paragraph and add the border you want to add. Selecting multiple paragraph at once will add the same borders to all of the selected paragraphs. See more on Borders and Shading in Microsoft Word.
Use the format painter to copy the format from one paragraph to another. It will copy all the formats you have done to the paragraph.