In the earlier roaming tariff regime, there was two-part charging – a monthly fixed charge for access to the roaming facility and air time charge depending upon the usage. Through an order issued in January 2007, the Authority has introduced a usage based composite roaming tariff, thereby removing the rental component in tariffs for roaming services are mentioned below:
The order is applicable for all mobile customers, prepaid and postpaid, and applicable across all types of tariff plans offered by both GSM and CDMA Mobile Operators.
- No rental permitted for roaming in any form.
- No surcharge is liable for any of the national roaming services.
- No separate PSTN charges on Roaming Calls.
- Receiving SMS is free while roaming.
- Charges for outgoing SMS while roaming continues to be under forbearance.
- Maximum permissible per minute charges for roaming calls, irrespective of the terminating networks, and irrespective of tariff plans would be:
- Rs. 1.40 for outgoing local calls.
- Rs. 2.40 for outgoing NDL calls
- Rs. 1.75 for incoming calls
- Mobile Operators cannot charge any type of fixed or recurring charges for accessing roaming facility, for example, monthly rental, weekly rental, daily rental etc.