In 2011 male female sex ratio in India is 940, that means there are 940 females per 1000 males in the country. If reversed it is 1063 males per 1000 females. Children under 6 years of age has a ratio of 944 females per 1000 males. India ranks number 21 for male per female sex ratio in the World. Some countries like UAE and Quatar has double number of males than females.
In 2001 sex ratio in India was 933 females per 1000 males. During the last decade sex ratio in India has increased 0.75% and it is still not satisfied.
Top five states with highest female sex ratio in India are –
- Kerala has the highest sex ratio of 1084 female per 1000 male.
- Puducherry(U/T) has a sex ratio of 1038 female per 1000 male.
- Tamil Nadu has a sex ratio of 995 female per 1000 male.
- Andhra Pradesh has a sex ratio of 992 female per 1000 male.
- Chhattisgarh has a sex ratio of 991 female per 1000 male.
Bottom five states with lowest female sex ratio in India are -
4 of bottom five are 4 union territories and that includes Delhi at number four.
- Daman in Daman & Diu(U/T) has the lowest sex ratio of only 618 females per 1000 male.
- Dadra & Nagar Haveli another union territory also has a very low sex ratio of 775 female per 1000 male.
- Chandigarh has a sex ratio of 818 female per 1000 male.
- NCT of Delhi has a sex ratio of 866 female per 1000 male.
- Haryana has a sex ratio of 877 female per 1000 male.
Though Delhi has a positive change of 5.48% in female sex ratio but it is still in the bottom five list. Chandigarh also shows some improvement of 5.28% from last census. Female sex ratio increased about 4% in states like Mizoram, Andaman & Nicobar Islands and some other.
State wise Sex Ratio in India in 2011 compared with 2001 census
|Code||States/Union Territory #||Total 2001||Total 2011||Change|
|1||Jammu & Kashmir||892||883||-1.01%|
|7||NCT of Delhi #||821||866||5.48%|
|25||Daman & Diu #||710||618||-12.96%|
|26||Dadra & Nagar Haveli #||812||775||-4.56%|
|35||Andaman & Nicobar Islands #||846||878||3.78%|