The Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill 2011 tabled on Indian Parliament just hours ago. I guess it doesn’t need any introduction after Anna Hazare’s fast and massive movements by his team for pass the Janlokpal bill. Though team Anna as well as many parties inside the parliament is not happy with the bill that government brought, it was tabled for discussion after a high-voltage briefing by almost all parties in the parliament.
Summery of the Lokpal Bill 2011 proposed today
What Lokpal can
- Lokpal will be a constitutional body – Anna’s demand worked
- There will be total 9 members in Lokpal, 8 members and 1 chairman.
- Out of this 9 members not less than fifty per cent of the Members of the Lokpal shall be from amongst the persons belonging to the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes and women. Exact text from the bill see Chapter II 3.2(b) page 10
- Jurisdiction of Lokpal to include Prime Minister, Ministers, Members of Parliament, Groups A, B, C and D officers and officials of Central Government. There are subclauses to this and beware of it. Chapter VI the longest chapter!
- Lokpal can inquire on matters that came to them, but the officers will be provided by the Government of India. Chapter III Inquiry Wing.
- Lokpal can prosecute but again the officers will be provided the Government of India. Chapter IV Prosecution Wing.
- No sanction from any department is required for prosecution of public servant.
What Lokpal Can’t
- Can’t inquire or prosecute unless any complain is filed. This is normal with our jurisdiction system too.
- No control over CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation). Demanded by Anna and were supported by some opposition parties.
- Can only supervise CBI in cases those are referred by Lokpal