Maharashtra the second largest State in the country in terms of population with about 9.29 percent of total county’s population. As of census 2011 Maharashtra has a total population of 11,23,72,972. An increase of 1,54,94,345 during the decade 2001-11. In 2001 census, this was 9,68,78,627. The growth rate of population during last decade 2001-11 is 15.99% in the State is 1.65% less than the same at county level which is 17.64%.
Highlights of census in Maharashtra
- Maharashtra stands 2nd with a population of 11,23,72,972 (9.29%) in the country after Uttarpradesh.
- In terms of growth rate Maharashtra stands at 21st rank in India.
- In terms of sex ratio the State is in 22nd rank with 925 females per 1000 males against 940 at national level.
- Child sex ratio is 883 females per 1000 males against 914 at national level.
- The State with Literacy rate 82.9% against the national average of 74.0% stands at 12th rank in
- The density of population is 365 persons per sq. Km. as compared to 382 at national level.
- The proportion of children in age 0 to 6 years is 11.43 percent against 13.12 percent at national
Growth of Population during the last decade in Maharashtra
- The State has recorded 11,23,72,972 population with growth rate 15.99 percent over 2001 census. This was 22.73 during 1991-01. This shows reduction in growth rate by 6.74 percentage points.
- Total density is 365 persons per sq. Km. as compared to 315 in 2001.
- First time, after 1921, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg have registered negative growth rate -4.96 percent and – 2.30 percent respectively.
- Mumbai, has recorded negative growth rate of -5.75 percent in 2011.
- Highest rate of growth is in Thane (35.9 percent) followed by Pune (30.3 percent).
Overall analysis of Population in Maharashtra 2011 census
|Sex Ratio (Female/1000 Male)||922||925||0.33%|
|Child Sex Ratio (Girls/1000 Boys)||913||833||-8.76%|
|Children between 0-6 years||13671126||12848375||-6.02%|